Just one major ingredient: Carrot and a few steps is all you need to make this easy as breeze Gajar ka Halwa. And the result? Well, the chances are – making this will turn into a habit and those who have relished it will have hard time not asking you to make it. Either way, you won’t be short of compliments and taste equally.
This recipe is traditional, simple, without any fuss and the result will be so delicious that no comfort food can beat it. And the brownie point: Countless health benefits! Especially this is something you won’t think twice before making for your kids and trust me on this, they sure will love it. Without further ado, let’s start rolling.
First, the Ingredients: (Servings : 2)
4 medium sized carrots
2 tablespoon ghee or clarified unsalted butter
4 cardamom pods (green or black or both)
3 cups whole milk
1 cup sugar (or according to your taste)
Raisins, almonds, cashew nut etc to garnish
1. First prepare the carrots. Peel and grate them evenly. This will give you approximately 4 cups of grated carrot mixture.
2. Now heat some ghee in a wok (kadhai) or a saucepan. Put the cardamoms along with the grated carrots. Keep stirring it till the carrot mixture reduces to half (which is approx. 2 cups) and till the raw color and smell of carrots disappear and you can smell the fragrance coming out. It will take around 15-20 minutes.
3. Now pour the milk and add sugar. Let it simmer for at least 30 minutes or more. By the end of the hour, good amount of liquid should have evaporated to give that fine consistency to the mixture.
4. Keep stirring until the mixture gets thick with creamy consistency and carrots become softer. Vegans can opt for soy or coconut milk instead of whole milk and honey or agave nectar to sweeten the halwa.
5. Let it cool and scoop the halwa in a bowl. Garnish it with nuts and raisins and tada! The super easy, delicious and healthy Gajar Halwa is ready to serve.